REVEREND T.J. CARR
The church was organized in the home of Reverend T. J. Carr at 499 Saint Anthony Avenue in Saint Paul Minnesota. Services later moved from his home to a tent in Reverend Carr’s back yard. Continued growth dictated that services be held in a storefront on Rondo Avenue and Kent Streets. Land was purchased at West Central and Mackubin Streets and groundbreaking services were held in August of 1922. Reverend Carr was the architect and builder. The entire church gave of their finances, talents, and labor. After the basement was completed, Reverend Carr resigned.
REVEREND M.J. STEWART
Reverend M.J Stewart succeeded Reverend Carr for a brief pastorate. Church services continued to be held in the basement at West Central and Mackubin Streets.
REVEREND W.B. WOOD (1929-1935)
From Glasco, Kentucky, Reverend Wood was known as our Depression pastor, because he came during the time of the Great Depression. Reverend Wood sought a closer tie with the other Baptist churches within the city and St. Paul Independent Baptist Church became affiliated with the Twin Cities Union and the Minnesota Baptist Association. Under his leadership, the name of the church was changed to Mount Olivet Baptist Church in 1932. Upon completion of his mission, Reverend Wood was called to another church and resigned.
REVEREND J.C. BOTHIC (1935-1939)
Reverend Bothic came from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to pastor Mount Olivet. During his pastorate, there was a spiritual awakening and the membership grew. Mrs. Mable Lee willed Mount Olivet a home at 522 West Central for the church parsonage. Poor health forced Reverend Bothic to resign.
REVEREND C. B. WHEELER (1939-1947)
Reverend Wheeler was from Des Moines, Iowa. He immediately revived the building program. A $2,000.00 mortgage was paid off and plans were set in motion to complete the church. During Reverend Wheeler’s tenure, he established and organized Men’s Day, Women’s Day, the Youth Council and Choir, Dorcas Society and the Three-way Mission Plan. God called him home on March 13, 1947.
REVEREND D.C. WHITE (1947-1948)
Reverend White was called from Portsmouth, Ohio. He was considered to be a strong gospel preacher. Although we still worshipped in the basement, Reverend White continued to work on the building program with Ivy R. Hagen as Building Chairperson. On Sunday August 18, 1948, the cornerstone was laid and again Mount Olivet began to build. On November 21, 1948, God called another one of our leaders home.